在线时间

失去头发

老总

积分

三周年纪念章斯德哥尔摩老鸭王之蔑视头顶光可鉴人

发表于 2020-1-15 14:19:03 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
一篇很有意思的访谈,链接在此:https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/a ... mark-strong/1669341

原文在一楼,二楼放彩云翻译的机翻

In a parallel universe John Townshend could have been treading the boards, soaking up the smell of the greasepaint and the roar of the crowd – a darling of the silver screen – and Mark Strong could have been a lawyer in Germany.

Quite whether Townshend would have had the same success as his old college friend, who famously appeared as Sinestro in Green Lantern and Jim Prideaux in the 2011 remake of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and is known to TV audiences from roles in Our Friends in the North and The Long Firm, the latter of which netted him a Bafta nomination, is an intriguing question.

"I’m actually a frustrated thespian," Townshend admits. "At school, my big thing was acting. I had quite a lot of female parts when I started, but that’s very Shakespearean, right? I was Calpurnia [in Julius Caesar]," he says, chuckling.

Fortunately for their respective industries, Strong abandoned his German law degree and turned to acting, while Townshend directed his talents towards advertising.

At face value, Townshend, the charming and giggly founder and chairman of Now, with his Pears Soap boy-like mop of hair, and Strong, the shaven-headed Olivier Award-winning actor, with a brooding intensity that leads him to bag largely cold, villainous roles, might seem unlikely soulmates.

It’s not just their looks – Townshend also sports a comfortably middle-aged paunch, of which he is overly conscious, while Strong is lean and taut – it’s their backgrounds, too. Townshend, a self-confessed "posho", is a blue-blooded, Etonian son of a marquess, while Strong was born to immigrant parents. The latter’s birth name was Marco Giuseppe Salussolia.

Quite rightly, none of this matters much, as they try to remember the first time they came across one another. The two met at Royal Holloway College, where Townshend was studying history and politics, and Strong, English and drama. However, they differ in their accounts over the exact moment.

"It was at a Paul Young and the Q-Tips gig at Royal Holloway College. I’m sure I saw a bunch of guys having fun in the room, and I thought: ‘Who are those guys?’ It was John and a couple of guys in his year, whom he lived with," Strong recalls.

Townshend is insistent that it was in a launderette. "But you never washed your clothes, so how can that be?" Strong jests.

Whatever the circumstances, their friendship has endured for 30 years, and after that first meeting, they ended up sharing a house together in Wraysbury (next door to Gary Numan’s parents, apparently) for two years.

"Mark was the improbably good-looking, new person who all the girls were talking about when he arrived. We just thought who’s this…," Townshend says, trailing off to comedic effect.

There followed plenty of stereotypically studenty behaviour. Raucous partying and daft pranks alleviated those periods of inactivity and boredom that studying can involve. This, the pair say, helped inspire them to explore their creativity further.

"We’d just play and muck around," Townshend adds. "One time we had a nativity party where Mark was a nun and I was the Virgin Mary and I gave birth to a pheasant."

"No it was a pillow. I was the midwife and it was a pillow," Strong interjects. "I gave such a lifelike impression of the birth that I fainted," Townshend continues.

These high-jinks were the furthest Townshend explored acting while at university ("I didn’t act – I acted up"), but Strong was rather more committed to the profession.

"They had a studio theatre at Royal Holloway where you could do the practical stuff – it wasn’t just academic. It was then that I realised that I wanted to act," he says. "And it was John early on who was supportive. I remember doing Ibsen’s When We Dead Awaken, which is one of the darkest plays you can imagine, and we were all 19 years old trying to do it. So I was just testing the water. But the time it worked was in East, which is by Steven Berkoff, and John was very supportive of it and that made me think perhaps I could do this for a living."

Townshend adds: "I always remember that play because it was in a small theatre and Mark was about five feet away and I remember I said, ‘I forgot it was you’, rather than it being a mate in a play. That’s when I knew you were brilliant. I forgot it was you."

A slight silence follows before Strong adds, meaningfully: "Oh, thank you – that’s very kind of you." It is as if the two are more used to ribbing each other than paying each other compliments.

Following graduation, Strong’s talent – and self-confessed bloody-mindedness – meant that he went off to study drama at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School.

"Back then, everyone told me don’t do it – it’s a mistake," Strong says. "They’re not wrong, it is a difficult profession to forge ahead with. I just found something I clicked with and engaged with."

Townshend’s path into the creative industries was also atypical for someone of his background, evidence of a similar determination to defy expectations. "I looked at lots of jobs like PR and the City and merchant banking, but I had a friend at CDP whom I went to see, and thought this was something I could get excited about," he says.

"I wrote to the top 20 agencies. I knew I wanted to do something fun and I was reasonable at writing. I didn’t apply to be a creative, I was brought up to be a suit. Out of the top 20, I got zero response. Then I rewrote my CV and I got a job at D’arcy Masius McManus, then went to Ogilvy & Mather and became a creative copywriter there. I did a copy test, worked at night to do the D&AD test, and they eventually gave me a job as a writer."

Townshend says he was always conscious of his background – and, indeed, on occasion given a hard time because of it – but that the creative industries were more meritocratic, than, say, the City.

Strong and Townshend’s relationship moved beyond the personal to the professional when the latter was writing a campaign for Fiat and looking for a spoof Rapido-era Antoine de Caunes-style presenter to make witty remarks about the cars. Townshend suggested his old friend.

"We did a casting and the Italians liked Mark but said [adopts Italian accent]: ‘You can’t have the baldy one for Fiat, it’s not stylish.’ So Mark put a wig on and a suit on, and we lit him and he looked like a young Andy Garcia, and they said: ‘He’s very nice.’ And it was Mark, so then we did a series of three years."

"We described that as ‘Wraysbury with finance’ – the fact that people were paying us to lark about," Strong adds.

He claims that he can spot a Townshend-originated piece of work with ease. "I love the quirkiness. I can probably spot a John ad at 100 paces. I feel there’s something unique and different about them, which comes from his personality and sense of mischief. He’s never been afraid to push the envelope a little bit and do something more interesting than the next person," Strong says.

Strong starred in film adaptation of John Le Carré’s Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy as Jim Prideaux
The two continue to collaborate professionally on occasion, despite having chosen different routes in which to express their creativity.

"I can trace it all back, really, to that sense of fun and feeling – like, just be open, warm, generous and honest, and I learned that from John and that served me well in my business," Strong says.

"That probably sustained having a career. I know a lot of actors who have fallen by the wayside because they’ve been a bit difficult. It’s interesting that part of the longevity goes back to that time."

Townshend adds: "Mark’s always been there. We’re quite similar in that, outwardly, we’re extrovert and friendly, but also quite protective of ourselves. In any emotional difficulties, the first person I’ve always spoken to is Mark. Where some people judge you, Mark doesn’t. He’s always made me feel better about myself when I’ve felt doubtful."

Strong also turns to Townshend for an honest view of his work: "John is one of the only people that I’ll go to for a genuine opinion, and you need to know what the audience is thinking. The length of time I’ve known him means I can trust him and I know I’m going to get the truth."

While Strong and Townshend are approaching their late fifties, a time when many people have an eye on a quieter life, both continue to exude energy and ambition. Strong, as well as securing major acting roles (he is due to appear in a Disney film to be released next year), has moved into executive production, with Temple, a Sky One adaptation of the Norwegian TV show Valkyrien. He also stars in the series.

Townshend, meanwhile, has just completed a reboot of his independently owned agency, including the appointment of Larissa Vince as chief executive, in a bid to move it to another level.

But what continues to motivate them? Strong says: "When I started out, I just took work, but now it’s the character, it’s the part. People remember parts. So I’ll always choose something that’s memorable. There’s normally a checklist of character, director, script, role, location. Probably, the fee comes in there somewhere as well," he says, laughing.

Townshend responds: "The first thing you want to do is [something that means you can say]: ‘I did that.’ But as you get older, what’s most rewarding is taking people who are young and watching them blossom. That’s the new reward.

"I’d like to do something famous for us. I’d like everyone in the business to be really respectful and want to work here. I feel likeevery day is like starting again. We’ve got a whole new agency. So I feel buzzy."

Strong agrees that creating a legacy resonates with him and his feelings for his chosen career path. "That’s not dissimilar to the film business – everyone wants a film that will live forever. I don’t really rest on my laurels. I’m still looking forward. Still ambitious, still excited," he says.

And with that, the two hug each other warmly, Strong exits stage left to go back to the Shepperton film set where he is filming an adaptation of Cruella, alongside Emma Stone and Emma Thompson. Townshend, meanwhile, suggests we go for a pint

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x

主题

1185 小时

在线时间

失去头发

老总

积分

三周年纪念章斯德哥尔摩老鸭王之蔑视头顶光可鉴人

楼主| 发表于 2020-1-15 14:21:51 | 显示全部楼层
在另一个平行宇宙中,约翰•汤森(John Townshend)可能正踩着舞台板,沉浸在油彩的气味和人群的喧闹声中——他是银幕上的宠儿——而马克•斯特朗(Mark Strong)可能是德国的一名律师。

他在《绿灯侠》中饰演 Sinestro,2011年在《锅匠裁缝士兵间谍翻拍中饰演 Jim Prideaux,在《我们北方的朋友》和《漫长的事务所》中饰演角色,为电视观众所熟知,而《漫长的事务所》为他赢得了英国电影学院奖的提名。

“我实际上是一个失败的演员,”汤森承认。 “在学校,我最大的兴趣是表演。 我刚开始的时候有很多女性角色,但那是非常莎士比亚式的,对吧? 在《尤利乌斯•凯撒》(Julius Caesar)中,我就是 Calpurnia,”他笑着说。

幸运的是,对于他们各自的行业,斯特朗放弃了他的德国法律学位,转而从事演艺事业,而汤森则将他的才华投向了广告业。

从表面上看,汤森(Townshend)和斯特朗(Strong)似乎不太可能成为灵魂伴侣。汤森是 Now 公司的创始人兼董事长,魅力十足,爱傻笑,留着肥皂男孩般蓬乱的头发; 斯特朗剃光了头,曾获奥利维尔奖(Olivier award)。斯特朗的深沉热情导致他在很大程度上扮演冷酷、邪恶的角色。

这不仅仅是因为他们的外表——汤森还展示了一个舒适的中年大肚子,他对此过于敏感,而斯特朗则瘦削而紧绷——这也是因为他们的背景。 汤森,一个自称“ posho”的人,是伊顿公学侯爵的贵族儿子,而斯特朗的父母是移民。 后者的本名是马可 · 朱塞佩 · 萨卢苏利亚。

非常正确的是,这些都不重要,因为他们试图回忆他们第一次遇到对方的时候。 他们在皇家哈洛威学院相遇,汤森在那里学习历史和政治,斯特朗学习英语和戏剧。 然而,他们在确切的时刻却有不同的说法。

“那是在皇家哈洛威学院的 Paul Young 和 Q-Tips 演唱会上。 我确信我看到一群家伙在房间里玩得很开心,然后我想: ‘那些家伙是谁 那是约翰和他同年代的几个家伙,他们一起生活,”斯特朗回忆说。

汤森坚持说那是在洗衣店里。 “可是你从来不洗衣服,这怎么可能呢? ” 强烈的玩笑。

不管在什么情况下,他们的友谊已经持续了30年,在第一次见面之后,他们在雷斯伯里(显然是加里 · 努曼父母的隔壁)一起住了两年。

“马克是一个令人难以置信的英俊的新人,当他到来的时候,所有的女孩都在谈论他。 我们只是在想这个人是谁... ... ”汤森说着,逐渐变成了一种喜剧效果。

随之而来的是大量刻板的学生行为。 喧闹的聚会和愚蠢的恶作剧减轻了学习可能涉及的无所作为和无聊的时期。 他们说,这有助于激发他们进一步发掘自己的创造力。

汤森补充道: “我们只是到处玩耍和捣乱。”。 “有一次我们在耶稣诞生派对上,马克是个修女,我是圣母玛利亚,我生了一只野鸡。”

“不,那是一个枕头。 我是助产士,那是个枕头,”斯特朗插话道。 汤森继续说道: “我分娩时的样子栩栩如生,以至于晕了过去。”。

这些闹剧是汤森在大学期间探索表演的最远距离(“我没有表演——我表演了”) ,但斯特朗对这个职业更加投入。

“他们在 Royal Holloway 有一个剧场工作室,你可以在那里做一些实际的事情——这不仅仅是学术性的。 就在那时,我意识到自己想要行动起来。”。 “约翰很早就表示支持。 我记得我演过易卜生的《咱们死人醒来的时候,这是你能想象到的最黑暗的戏剧之一,那时我们都只有19岁。 所以我只是在测试水。 但是它在东部起作用的时候是由 Steven Berkoff 创作的,John 非常支持它,这让我想到也许我可以靠这个谋生。”

汤森补充说: “我一直记得那出戏,因为它是在一个小剧院里演出的,马克离我大约五英尺远,我记得我说过,‘我忘了那是你’ ,而不是在一出戏里扮演配偶的角色。 那时我就知道你很聪明。 我忘了是你。”

斯特朗意味深长地补充道: “哦,谢谢你——你真是太好了。” 这就好像两个人更习惯于互相开玩笑而不是互相恭维。

毕业后,斯特朗的才华-以及自认的残忍-意味着他要去志维克剧院学习戏剧。

“当时,每个人都告诉我不要这么做——这是个错误,”斯特朗说。 “他们没有错,这是一个难以推进的职业。 我只是找到了自己感兴趣的东西。”

汤森进入创意产业的道路对于像他这样背景的人来说也是非典型的,这证明了他同样决心打破预期。 他表示: “我找了很多工作,比如公关、金融城和商业银行,但我有一个在 CDP 工作的朋友,我去见了他,我认为这是一件让我感到兴奋的事情。”。

“我给排名前20位的机构写了信。 我知道我想做一些有趣的事情,我在写作方面很讲道理。 我没有申请成为一个创意人员,我从小就被培养成一个西装革履的人。 在前20名中,我没有得到任何回应。 然后我重写了我的简历,在 d’ arcy Masius McManus 找到了一份工作,然后去了奥美律师事务所(Ogilvy & Mather) ,在那里成为了一名创意文案。 我做了一个文案测试,晚上工作做 d & ad 测试,最后他们给了我一份作家的工作。”

汤森表示,他一直很清楚自己的背景——事实上,有时也会因此陷入困境——但他认为,与伦敦金融城等城市相比,创意产业更加注重精英。

斯特朗和汤森的关系已经从个人关系发展到了职业关系,当时汤森正在为菲亚特(Fiat)撰写广告,并寻找一位像安东尼 · 德 · 卡内斯(Antoine de caunes)那样的讽刺节目主持人,对这些汽车进行诙谐的评论。 汤森建议他的老朋友。

“我们做了一次试镜,意大利人喜欢马克,但是他们(用意大利口音)说: ‘菲亚特不能用秃头的那个,那不时髦。’ 于是马克戴上假发,穿上西装,我们点燃了他,他看起来就像一个年轻的安迪 · 加西亚,他们说: “他人很好。” 而且是马克,所以我们做了一连串的三年。”

斯特朗补充道: “我们把这种情况描述为‘金融危机中的愤怒城’——人们付钱给我们是为了让我们消遣。”。

他声称自己能轻而易举地辨认出汤森的作品。 “我喜欢这种诡异的感觉。 我大概能在100步以外认出一个叫约翰的人。 我觉得他们有一些独特的和不同的东西,这来自于他的个性和恶作剧的感觉。 他从不害怕挑战极限,做一些比旁人更有趣的事情。”斯特朗说。

在电影改编自 John Le carr 的锅匠裁缝士兵间谍中饰演 Jim Prideaux

尽管两人选择了不同的方式来表达他们的创造力,但是有时他们还是会继续进行专业的合作。

斯特朗说: “我可以把这一切追溯到那种乐趣和感觉,就是要开放、热情、慷慨和诚实。我从约翰那里学到了这一点,这对我的事业很有帮助。”。

“这很可能维持了我的职业生涯。 我认识很多演员,他们因为有点难相处而半途而废。 有趣的是,部分寿命可以追溯到那个时代。”

汤森补充道: “马克一直都在那里。 从外表上看,我们很相似,我们性格外向,友好,但同时也很保护自己。 在任何情绪困难的时候,我总是第一个和马克说话。 有些人对你评头论足,而马克却没有。 当我感到怀疑的时候,他总是让我感觉好一些。”

斯特朗还向汤森寻求对自己作品的真实看法: “约翰是我唯一会去寻求真实意见的人之一,你需要知道观众在想什么。 我认识他的时间意味着我可以信任他,我知道我会得到真相。”

尽管斯特朗和汤森已经接近50岁了,这是一个很多人都希望过上平静生活的时代,但他们仍然充满活力和雄心壮志。 斯特朗不仅获得了主要演员的角色(他将出演明年上映的迪斯尼电影) ,还进入了执行制作领域,与天空一号公司合作,该公司根据挪威电视剧《女武神》改编。 他也是这个系列的主演。

与此同时,汤森(Townshend)刚刚重启了自己的独立经纪公司,包括任命拉里萨•文斯(Larissa Vince)为首席执行官,以期将公司提升到另一个层次。

但是,是什么继续激励着他们呢? 斯特朗说: “刚开始的时候,我只是接受工作,但现在是角色,是角色。 人们会记住某些部分。 所以我总是会选择一些令人难忘的东西。 通常有一个角色、导演、剧本、角色、地点的清单。 也许,这笔费用也是从某个地方来的,”他笑着说。

汤森回答说: “你想做的第一件事就是(这意味着你可以说) : ‘我做到了。’ 但是随着年龄的增长,最值得做的事情就是带着年轻人,看着他们茁壮成长。 这就是新的奖励。

“我想为我们做些有名的事情。 我希望这个行业的每个人都能真正地尊重他人,并且希望在这里工作。 我觉得每一天都像是重新开始。 我们有了一个全新的经纪公司。 所以我觉得很兴奋。”

斯特朗同意,创造一份遗产能引起他和他对自己选择的职业道路的感觉的共鸣。 “这与电影行业没有什么不同——每个人都希望电影能长生不老。 我并不是真的满足于我的荣誉。 我还在期待。 依然雄心勃勃,依然兴奋,”他表示。

斯特朗走出舞台左侧,回到谢伯顿的电影拍摄现场,在那里他与艾玛 · 斯通和艾玛 · 汤普森一起拍摄了一部改编自 Cruella 的电影。 同时,汤森建议我们去喝一品脱
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|哈尼的地下审讯室|MarkStrong中文论坛

GMT+8, 2024-4-24 07:03 , Processed in 0.373381 second(s), 21 queries .